The annual Advanced Course enables players to work on more difficult and unusual repertoire: consorts by Purcell and Lawes, the fabulous repertoire for two trebles and two basses by people like Jenkins and Simpson, and the fantastic later repertoire for three basses by Forqueray, Nicolai and others.
Players for these courses need to be experienced, technically competent, and not afraid of heights, clefs, or ormanents!
Here are some useful guidelines about the level of an Advanced course:
- Able to play challenging notes in the left hand with out losing tone with the bow.
- Able to play off the frets a third above the top fret, staying in position for crossing to the second string
- Able to hold a part in complex rhythmical passage work.
- Able to shift to and from the top fret in fast note values.
- Able to have sufficient control of the bow to play loud with a slow bow and to shape notes.
- Know which part of the bow to be in for different requirements, e.g. string crossing, fast notes, long notes with shape etc
Keep your eyes peeled for an Advanced course in 2022!