These courses are for anyone who considers themselves to be of an intermediate or upper intermediate standard and would like to improve both their individual technique and consort playing experience. We will look at the set repertoire, covering choices of fingering and bowing which can then be applied in one-to-a-part consort sessions. Further music will be provided, some in advance of the course so you can prepare it, and the rest will be provided during the weekend.
Here are some helpful guidelines about the level of an Intermediate course:
- Bass players can play on all six strings, in first and half positions, moving between the two
- Treble and tenor players need to be familiar with notes in first and half positions on the top five strings even if the bottom string is a bit of a mystery...
- Starting to explore the top fret
- Happy to play in keys of one sharp or flat, willing to try two sharps or flats
- Has begun to use and is happy to be taught chordal fingering
- Able to hold a part in homophonic dances, and getting to know madrigals and pieces with more independent parts
- Starting to shape notes with tensioning bow hair